Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Teams Work Better When They Work Together.

We are taught from an early age to trust others, to rely on them and to work together. It's a great thing to do; a great way to make friends and solve problems. But when you're risking your own safety and well-being, does that change? It shouldn't of course, but it's pretty difficult for some people. That's why our school goes to Norval for one day every year. Norval is a camp that pushes you out of your comfort zone and into the care of others. Sounds fun, right? But it's a little more complex than it sounds.

First of all, if I told you to climb over a 14 ft. wooden wall - no ridges, handles, ladders, hooks.. nothing to use as a tool but your own body and mind, you would think I was crazy. Most people would just figure it wasn't possible. The situation totally changes when you have 15 other people to work with. Thats 15 times more bodies, brains and ideas! We had to do this exercise. It was difficult at first to think of a practical idea, since everyone had different ones. But when we all listened to other people's thoughts and cooperated like true team members, we were finally able to get Olivia over to the other side by hoisting her up in a few steps involving everyone. Then, she helped everyone else up from the other side until we had lifted each person, one by one.

We also tried the Inuit Blanket Toss, which was something i've always wanted to try with a parachute. Every person held up one part of a thick, circular blanket as one person lay in the middle - usually quivering with fear, or maybe excitement. At the same time, we all jerked back our ends of the blanket and sent the victim flying in the air. Then we all had to act quickly to try to catch them in it again without hurting them. I think we did well, because only one person hit the ground... Just a little bit. :) Waiting in the middle, knowing what was about to happen, was the most exhilirating part. I felt so grateful when I landed again that everyone had caught me, but I think I knew all along that I could trust them too.

I, along with three other very fortunate people, got to be suspended in the air with cables. The cables were held by my classmates, and they had to figure out how to move each cable to move me. Then when they moved me, I could reach and collect the plastic balls from the course area. I still felt like I could trust everyone, but they did think it would be funny to move me where and when I wasn't exactly expecting it! Whispers spread across the grade as they worked out a plan. After I was lifted a few feet, some people jerked me to the left, then some to the right. They swung me back and forth on the strings about 10 feet in the air like a marionette. But at least they had done it together, right? Haha. I had placed my trust in the right people. Their trick was fun and surprising, but it was still safe.

After lunch, every one in the Middle School participated in the Drum Circle. I had never even heard of these before, but it was incredible. One man stood at the front of the room with his drum and just played. He didn't give us any instructions. He didn't say a word. But by the end of the session, we had all made our own music together. And it sounded amazing!! I couldn't believe it. This was learning a new kind of communication, without any words. I'm still not sure how it happened exactly, but I wish we could do that all over again- even though my hand hurt
a lot from hitting that drum.

andie, xoxo.

1 comment:

  1. wow. all your posts are amazing!!! and i think you are a professional!! wow! <3

    ReplyDelete