Friday, October 2, 2009

World Poverty.

Whenever my teachers or my parents talk about poverty, I think of the homeless man by Wal-Mart that we always pass by. Usually I give him some of my shopping money and I feel like I’m making a difference; it makes me feel like a better person when he says “God Bless You.” But maybe I’m not making as big a difference as I could or should be in the world of poverty.

Now I know about Craig Kielburger. He started seriously making a difference when he was twelve years old by creating Free the Children, which is working to stop child labour in less fortunate countries. Why can’t I do something like this? All I need is an idea and a few friends to help me.

Do you have any ideas? I need some. I would be happy to make your ideas a reality for the rest of the world, because right now I don’t have any of my own. But it’s important to me to really try to make a difference for these poor children my age that dont have it nearly as good as i do. Isnt it to you? I think the trick to be motivated to help is to think of each of these poor people as individuals. They are not a statistic you'll find in the paper... They are real people just like you, or me, or one of your friends. Imagine your little brother or sister suffering in Sierra Leone. They never did anything to deserve that. And they want your help. Please, help me help them.

Andie, xoxo.

9 comments:

  1. Good job!! You did an awsome job explaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job, that was amazing and i like all your ideas and points <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont have any ideas sorry. ill tell you when i do. really good. deep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your post. very thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really liked this. it really caught my attention on the first line!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andie, this is a good first post. The use of a personal example in your introduction is a good strategy as it helps your reader relate to you more easily.

    The idea of what to do to help is always the hardest part - we always think it needs to be something unique on the same scale as Craig Kielburger. But if you are already giving change to those in need you have taken the first step in the right direction. Perhaps you should just continue doing small acts such as this and see where they lead you instead of waiting to think of one big idea.

    ReplyDelete