Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"Did You Know?" Now I do.

Is it possible to die by information overload? This video can blow your mind and open your eyes, and it reminded me of the size of the universe. It reminded me that in the space of the universe, the Earth that we believe to be so large is really just a speck of dust, and humans much smaller than that. I feel more insignificant than I've ever felt after watching this video.

The most interesting part to me was about the supercomputer. I find it unlikely that a computer will 'out-compute' the human brain by 2013. Also to be taken into consideration, is that it is believed that humans use an average of only 10% of their brain daily. I wonder if this has been addressed in the supercomputer statistics. On the same note, the computer will only "exceed the computational capabilities of the human brain", meaning that it can think in a whole other way and still cannot think for itself or make decisions. Computers will not be able to take over the earth.

Although these facts are rather astounding to some, like me, they are believable. Our knowledge as a species and as a population has grown rapidly and increasingly and will continue to do so.
Some people say that this video was so intense that it was scary to think about all at once. But if they don't get this through our heads, it's all going to blow up in our faces one day. I think those people should get ready, because this is what's happening right now.

andie, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment